The use of the smartphone to listen to music or set up navigation apps in order to move easily in traffic could distract the driver while driving: Apple CarPlay , like Android Auto , allows you to use your smartphone in the car in a safe way, without losing focus on the road.
The guide that we have decided to create is dedicated to the purchase of the best adapters that allow you to connect your iPhone to Apple CarPlay wirelessly, therefore without using annoying cables. In this regard, we have included selected products here, considering the costs and warranty offered by the well-known e-commerce.
Although recent car infotainment systems allow you to interact with the car, the tools currently used by smartphones inevitably offer more advanced systems. Not surprisingly, the standard developed by Apple to connect your iPhone to your car shows a simplified version of the smartphone menu, with only compatible apps. However, through the use of CarPlay all the available functions can be imparted using the commands available in the cockpit or through the Siri voice assistant. In this regard, we emphasize that CarPlay does not replace the car's infotainment system, to which it is possible to return at any time.
As well as Android Auto, Apple CarPlay in addition to offering driving directions allows us to make calls, send and receive messages and even listen to music . Let's not forget that CarPlay is also compatible with apps made by car manufacturers; the update to iOS 12 of 2018 has, in fact, optimized the service by also making it possible to display applications from external developers on the car screen which complement the standard functions such as telephone, messages and podcasts. iOS 13 also brought about a real revolution in the Apple CarPlay graphical interface, providing users with a home screen richer and more innovative: quick access to calendar events, suggestions for alternative routes, playback controls for streaming apps and Siri suggestions has become simple and intuitive also thanks to a graphic and functional restyling .
Although Carplay is a recent system, launched in 2014, there are now many cars that have a compatible multimedia system . So far, around 500 car models have been produced with wired CarPlay, from Alfa Romeo Giulia to the Fiat 500, up to Ferrari and Lamborghini. Today, in fact, all major car manufacturers offer models compatible with CarPlay, or are in the planning stage.
To use Apple Carplay you need to connect your smartphone to the car wirelessly or via a USB cable . As soon as activated, the system shows compatible apps, such as messaging, navigation and entertainment, on the car display. Specifically, CarPlay works with many of the apps built into iOS, including Phone, Messages, Music, and Maps, and it also works with several third-party apps, such as iHeartRadio, WhatsApp, Spotify, and Audible. The main applications that are available on Apple CarPlay are Podcasts, Audiobooks, WhatsApp, Spotify, Apple Maps, Waze, Audible, Amazon Music and Tidal.
As for the interaction with CarPlay, this is possible through the use of the controls in the passenger compartment, the touchscreen system of the display or through voice commands. Of course, using CarPlay requires the car to have a compatible infotainment system ; the software therefore does not work autonomously on the phone screen. To be able to use Apple CarPlay, you need both to have a compatible car and a suitable iPhone model: to date, all models on the market from the iPhone 5 onwards with an updated operating system are supported.
Considering the possibility of connecting to Apple CarPlay using the standard Lightning cable or via wireless connectivity, we just have to dedicate ourselves to the selection of adapters that will allow you to better manage the transmission of data from the phone to the car and vice versa by eliminating the cables from your cabin.
Not surprisingly, the use of an adapter , once connected to the car's infotainment system via the USB port , automatically enables the Apple CarPlay wireless services , without having to install apps. A good adapter will therefore allow you to take advantage of the many services made available by the Cupertino company's software (CarPlay must be factory installed on the car) even in cases where the vehicle's infotainment system is not compatible with this connection method . We reiterate that wireless adapters are “plug and play” devices: by connecting the device to the car via the USB port, you can search for it from the Bluetooth menu of your iPhone; once connected, it will allow you to use the system without having to search and connect each time you use it. The installation procedure will, in fact, only be performed the first time or after resetting the device by connecting the adapter to a USB port of the car with the supplied USB-A/C cable, being careful to choose a data USB port + recharge and not just recharge. Following the first installation, therefore, the wireless connection between the car and the iPhone will be automatic .
The best wireless adapters for Apple CarPlay
Carlinkit 4.0 Adapter
- 【No Lag, Reliable Wireless】CarlinKit 4.0 with Dual-band Wi-Fi support & Bluetooth and a Dual-Core running at chip, low power, 2ms low latency, and anti-interference, giving you a more stable and smooth streaming experience.
- 【2 in 1, free switch, free hands】If your car with a built-in factory CarPlay but uses an android phone, this wireless adapter can help you achieve wireless Android Auto in your car display. BTW, if you also have an Apple phone, you can still get wireless carplay.
- 【Support 98% of models】CarlinKit 4.0 -- As long as your car has the original OEM carplay; please buy it confidently. But Note Requires iPhone IOS 6+ or Android 11+，and not fit Volvo, Polestar
- 【Auto Connect, Plug and Play】Take 10s to plug the dongle into the car. All the applications of wired carplay and the four original car control methods will remain, and everything will be easy with "Hi Siri" or " Hi Google", No need to download a bulky app;
- 【Quick Response】 Professional software engineer with one-to-one after-sales service. reply within 8 hours;
CarlinKit 3.0 adapter
The CarlinKit 3.0 adapter is equipped with a 5G processing chip that facilitates the support of GPS navigation apps or other music, voice control and message access apps. Like the other products listed so far, for the adapter to be recognized, the car system must be equipped with wired Apple CarPlay while the smartphone must be at least an iPhone 11 and equipped with an iOS 10+ system . On the surface of the accessory there are no buttons except an operating LED in the upper part, with a micro-USB connector integrated on the back. Connection to the car will be via a standard USB 2.0 socket , making wireless Apple CarPlay available and no longer requiring the physical connection of the Apple smartphone.
Carlinkit CarPlay Ai Box Plus
- 【 2023 Lastest Multifunctional Android Video Box 】Carlinkit CarPlay Ai Box is a car radio ai box that enhances in-car entertainment, eliminates passenger boredom and improves driving comfort.Easy installation with zero labor cost，You can easily install it via plug it in to your car stereo,which must have OEM wired CarPlay Function.Then you can have a smart car stereo system with Android 10.0, you can download any APP you like,for exmaple : Youtube, Netfilx,Disney+,Google maps, waze, spotify ect.
- 【 Built-in GPS 】The GPS module is built into the product, so there is no need to connect a separate GPS module or worry about the signal. The Low Noise Amplifier (LNA) module is used to amplify weak signals to obtain high-precision position information even in tunnels and mountainous areas.
- 【 Wireless Car System Adapter】 You can switch between 3 main systems at any time: wireless apple CarPlay, Wireless Android Auto ,and Android 12 System Otto System.It is very suitable for families who have both Android phones and Apple. Portable USB plug and play design, super easy to install, 35 seconds to complete installation and booting.By connecting the mobile phone hotspot or use 4G SIM card, you can install any video maps you like : Youtube, Netflix, Disney+, Hulu.
- 【 Support Nano SIM & Micro SD Cards 】Carlinkit CarPlay Ai Box comes with America Nano SIM and Micro SD card slot holder.The Nano SIM card slot supports 3G/4G communication standards, so if you insert a frequency-compatible Nano SIM card, your car navigation system will be able to communicate just like a smartphone! You can also watch videos or listen the music stored on the MicroSD card.
- 【 High Compatibility and Worry-Free Warranty 】 Compatible with nearly all car models , which have factory wired Apple CarPlay, Such as Mercedes / Volvo / Jeep / Kia / Lincoln / Ford / Chevrolet / Land Rover / Lexus ect. This CarPlay Ai Box has obtained radio frequency FCC certification，CE certification and one year warranty so you can order with confidence.
How to choose the best wireless adapter for Apple CarPlay
Over the years, Apple Carplay has inevitably become an increasingly "smart" support for drivers. Let's not forget that the extreme ease of installation and configuration really makes it for everyone. The arrival of the connection through Apple CarPlay has made it possible in recent years to use a simple USB cable or a Bluetooth connection to be able to project important iPhone functions onto the display screen in the car.
As we have seen, devices such as Carlinkit are presented as a small and practical box to be connected via cable to the socket of the car, while the iPhone can be connected wirelessly; iPhone that will transmit the CarPlay interface on the car display without therefore having to be physically connected to the car's USB socket.
Before purchasing, make sure that the device is compatible with your car and smartphone. In this regard, we recall some of the major brands that officially support Apple CarPlay such as Alfa Romeo, BMW, Audi, DS Automobile, Ford, Jeep, Hyundai, Mazda, Nissan, Opel, Peugeot, Porsche, Renault, Suzuki, Volkswagen and Volvo. In case you don't have a latest generation car, you can use aftermarket stereo systems such as Pioneer, Sony, Clarion, Kenwood and Alpine that are compatible with CarPlay.